Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saving time with Technology - thank goodness for the DVR!

Being the English Girl whose most recent television was acquired from her grandmother's upgrade it has to be said I have never really been at the forefront of technological advances.  I have to, however, say that since moving to the US, I really want to thank the person who invented the DVR. 

This English Girl has been fast forwarded a few technological centuries by my better half and due to this insistence I can now probably count on one had the number of times I have actually watched live television.    This may sound a strange advantage but here in the US the extent of television advertisements is astounding.  The networks here manage to extend the airtime of a movie by at least an hour with the amount of adverts with which they insert into the programming.  Compared to ITV and Channel 4, normal advertising programming here in the US seems to include more adverts than actual show.

With this backdrop the DVR has become my new best friend - allowing me to record the programs I want  to watch and then fast forwarding through the endless and mostly senseless advertisements that interrupt the show at a mind boggling rate.  This English Girl may be an advertisers idea of a nightmare, but at least I only spend half of the time to watch a television show.

All I can say is thank goodness for the DVR!

No comments:

Post a Comment