Thursday, September 29, 2011

Street names - where does the street, boulevard or avenue go?

One of my biggest pet peeves about my other half is when he references English road names without the suffix.  For example, I would get most perplexed when he would say that he had gone to Oxford quickly before meeting me in London.  He actually meant Oxford Street and not the city about 70 miles away. 

It was only when this English girl moved to LA LA Land that she realized that no one ever references the street, avenue or boulevard in describing places, directions or locations.   It's there on the signs for all to see but noone tends to use them. 

For me this puts on whole new meanings to discussions about other people's weekend plans, the locations of restaurants I must try and shops I just have to go to.  All the time I think people mean the city, state or country rather than the road of the same name in the next zipcode. 

Thankfully I have also realised that people are not living some sort of jetset life that I am not and that going to Vermont is a 20 minute drive and not a cross US flight to get that amazing Korean BBQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment