Thursday, October 14, 2010

No offense but we're all just foreigners.

Okay so it's stating the blatantly obvious but being an English Girl, I am classified as a foreigner in this town.  Even worse than that I am described for all official purposes as an alien  - but that's another story.    Obviously I know this and,  as I have alluded to, I try to prepare the general public when I am out and about in my new adopted town.  However, from time to time, I forget that I speak "a bit funny" in the minds of the general Los Angeleno population. 

So, for those of you who don't know me, I don't have a strong regional accent, in fact I don't really have an accent other than an English one - and admittedly I smile when I'm told that they "love my accent it's so cute"!  But imagine my surprise when, quite often and usually when I am being my most polite, whoever I am speaking to looks at me quizzically.  Seriously!  I don't know if anyone else from my homeland finds this but, more often that not I could be speaking the language of the martian (that I am categorised as) rather than the good old Queen's English.   It has even got to the point where I have had to ask my better half to translate in order to get a glass of water.  True story and I think I can manage to order that in most European languages.

Whilst occasionally annoying that I can't make myself understood when speaking English in America, it does slightly amuse me, especially as I have mentioned that I am trying to keep as much of my English language and accent as possible.   However what makes me laugh out loud is the responses I get when I am asked where I come from.  For some reason Americans love to make a guess.  Often, as I am sure others are, this English Girl is asked whether she's from Australia.  Now don't get me wrong, I have lots of Aussie mates and am by far from offended that someone would think I am from the glorious land down-under.  But after I shake my head and am just about to confirm my Englishness, it's the next guess that gets me:  

"No - Oh you must be German then!"  


1 comment:

  1. Lol, yes you're not alone with this... I have the same experience on a daily basis... when people have that frown on their faces, and they stop listening to what you are actually saying 'cause they get stuck on figuring out the accent... and as for drive-through intercoms, and automated phone systems - forget it! lol

    ReplyDelete